What does it mean to engineer for system performance?
It means we can design systems that do their job consistently and well, and it means we can take full advantage of the performance of the system.
For example, a well-designed system should have a well-defined and understandable interface. The interface should be self-documenting, and the contracts of the interfaces should be consistent, well-documented, and easily testable and verified.
When we engineer for system performance, we have to pay attention to the following:
- What are the unit tests?
- How do we ensure high quality?
- How do we ensure good design?
- How do we ensure good documentation?
- How do we test a system that has no GUI?
- How do we ensure good performance?
- How do we ensure good security?
- These are some of the questions that we have to ask when we are developing a system and designing it for performance.